[Bf-committers] Sound stuff

neXyon nexyon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:58:11 CEST 2009

Greetings,

as Ton already announced in the meeting minutes mail, I'm working on
sound stuff.

--- Short about:

A already two months old proposal is here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:NeXyon/Sound

To say it short:

current sound stuff in blender is a pain, there are at least 3 more or
less seperated code parts that handle sound:

* the sequencer, handles sound completely on its own (SDL)
* editsound.c, handles the sound structures bSound and bSample, has
nothing to do with sound really, except showing the wave in the audio window
* SoundSystem, the GE sound system (OpenAL)

Why not use TinySND (the old GSoC sound project): because I personally
think it's half-baked, has to much dependencies and doesn't really fit
the needs properly. (Anyone wants to discuss about that?)

---- More sound formats for 2.4x BGE:

Campell suggested me to write a loading function for the old sound
system (SoundSystem) to make it possible to play other formats in BGE,
not only wav. So I did a quick (but  - as far as I tested - working
flawlessly) implementation of that function and it works perfectly with
wav files. But then I noticed that for other files, the editsound.c
sound code disturbs. It's really desperating working with this - sorry
for the term - crap of code, so I only bypass the sound format checking
routines in editsound.c to get the function work.

The result of this bypass is, that you can load any file resulting in
simply no playback and the wave isn't displayed in the audio window.

Nevertheless I have attached the patch which includes the function and
the bypassing changes, if you test it, remember to switch on
WITH_FFMPEG. The internal SoundSystem doesn't seem to get that define
during compilation, so I #defined it myself there, so if you try to
compile without ffmpeg and forget to remove the define, you'll get a
compilation error.

I'm not really motivated to also refactor editsound.c to fix the
problems of my hacks, to get any sound format working in future blender
2.4x. I more like to concentrate on a new sound system for 2.5, but if
anyone of you is interested to continue that 2.4x BGE sound work, feel
free, I can give support if you want so, simply contact me!

---- Sound in 2.5:

So, I'm currently working on a new sound library, that should be able to
handle every sound feature needed by blender. For the integration in
blender, I think the old sound structures will have to be removed,
they're simply unusable at the moment.

The library will be in C++ like the current SoundSystem and with a C
backend to use it. It will use FFMPEG to read sound files (I think we
shouldn't include an own wav loading function, so if blender's compiled
without FFMPEG => no sound) and for the output I'm currently working
with SDL, but this is pluggable. My target is to let the user decide
which output driver he wants, just like every better multimedia app, as
soon as we have programmed other output drivers.

Also should the library satisfy Peter Schlaile, because it's possible to
let the sequencer do as much audio processing as it wants to, the api
design is very flexible in this respect.

---- Current state and prospects:

Currently I program the library separately in a C++ project: sound
output works through SDL, and I'm currently having trouble with audio
resampling of ffmpeg (something the function provided in the patch,
doesn't do, so don't worry!), as soon I have that working, I'll finish
the class design of the library, update it in the proposal and then I'll
report again!

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear all your thoughts, recommendation and
constructive criticism.

Regards,

Jörg