[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes, august 9, 2009

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Aug 9 19:05:40 CEST 2009

Hi all,

We skipped one week, due to Siggraph. Here's the overview of topics we
discussed in the meeting today.

*** 2.49a update

- Still no real news... Windows Python needs update (missing __future__
module).

- Campbell proposes to update all to a 2.49b: BGE not freeing objects,
python mesh code using uninitialized variable, fbx issues, windows
player export broken, ...

- Peter mentions a sound bug in Windows that would need fix (tracker
#18956)

Proposal: make a 2.49b for all platforms before end of august?

*** Google summer of code

- Lukas is nearly done with his faster mesh drawing, now moving to
final tests and user feedback
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Imbusy1/
User_specs_for_Viewport_performance_improvement

Windows build available, other platforms should follow:
http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?
action=show&id=1091

- GSoC Collada results were shown at Siggraph, by Collada founder Remi
Arnaud, reading textured Spore (game) models and armatures in Blender.
Arystan, Chingiz and Nathan did a great job on providing us the demos.

*** 2.5 project

- Thomas Dinges made a UI layout guideline proposal, feedback on
bf-taskforce list:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Py/Blender2.5/Layouts/Guidelines

- On Siggraph we made useful contacts with Intel driver developer and
ATI representative, to ensure we can smoothly use same buffer swap
system for all versions of 2.5. Follow-ups will be done this week.

- Python 3.1 move: all signs are on green now; but for using Scons
building, you'll still have to keep Py 2.6 around until Scons also
migrates. This isn't so much a problem, since we'll include the library
and includes in our svn, so you don't have to install python 3.1.
Campbell will remove the ugly compatibility #ifdefs tomorrow, be
warned! He'll be around in IRC to advise or help.

*** Other current projects

- FFMPG: doesn't yet build for win64
Discussions are pending whether or not to keep ffmpg in svn, it depends
on patches getting accepted there. Will come back.

- Jörg has his new Blender 2.5 sound system ready, reviews were
positive, so a merge with 2.5 branch will be done soon. Will need
attention from the various platform maintainers for correct building.

*** Siggraph wrap-up

Everyone who was in New Orleans just had a great time! We met with a
lot of very interesting people, and it was cool to see confirmed how
many people use Blender already. Most striking was the interest from
support/integration/consultancy companies to business with Blender.
That's the open source bizz model that works excellent, and will do
wonders for us all!

-Ton-