[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sun May 11 11:50:38 CEST 2008

Le 11 mai 08 à 11:32, Ton Roosendaal a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I recently was contacted by Microsoft Development, they've assigned
> one
> of their people with the job to support open source projects better.
> Yep, I've immediately asked for free MSVC Pro licenses! :)
>
> They also like to know about file format support... which I really
> have
> no idea about. Are there files in the Windows universe you need to
> have
> a better Blender user experience?
>
> ----------------- quote -----------------
>
> With respect to Blender, what can you tell me about your community/
> user
> feedback that you have heard regarding file formats?  Specifically,
> Microsoft is slowly shifting toward a more open standards based
> approach to its file formats.  The ISO standard Office Open XML is an
> example of the direction we are moving towards.

I would not touch that with a barge pole. MS XML is an example that
they are not moving on that issue, or they would support ODF, not
using dirty tactics to force an half-backed non open standard.

They have an history to use one OSS group against another too.

Blender is in a position where we do not depend on any MS backed
format, so I think we should be very carefull to stay neutral in those
areas.

Now, ripping some licenses is fine of course ;)

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net