[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun May 11 11:32:30 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I recently was contacted by Microsoft Development, they've assigned one
of their people with the job to support open source projects better.
Yep, I've immediately asked for free MSVC Pro licenses! :)

They also like to know about file format support... which I really have
no idea about. Are there files in the Windows universe you need to have
a better Blender user experience?

----------------- quote -----------------

With respect to Blender, what can you tell me about your community/user
feedback that you have heard regarding file formats?  Specifically,
Microsoft is slowly shifting toward a more open standards based
approach to its file formats.  The ISO standard Office Open XML is an
example of the direction we are moving towards.
A good user experience of Blender on Windows is good for your
project/community and good for Microsoft.  What we are trying to
understand is what file formats, which are not open or not fully open,
are impeding the optimal experience with your community. If this is an
important issue to your users then it also accrues to the experience in
Windows. I would like to know what feedback you might have received
regarding the files your users most often import and those they might
be having a sub-optimal experience with.  Please also include in that
list any Microsoft files that you might have trouble with.

Anyone has answer to this?

Thanks,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org