[Bf-committers] release status update

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Sun Mar 23 12:35:16 CET 2008

Hi,

> IMHO there can be no release without FFMPEG support for Windows - we
> already have had working releases with FFMPEG, and releasing without
> would be a big step backwards. If anyone manages to build dlls that
> can be used with MSVC and that *don't* crash Blender, please let us
> know.

isn't that fixed with:

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2008-March/013356.html

?

> In the future, when doing any work on any part of Blender, it'd be
> very much appreciated if you (the developer) make sure it works on
> *all* our supported platforms. If you can't ensure it, then rethink
> your work.

Let me rethink... sorry, but I won't have done it in another way.

Reasoning: you can't expect developers to test their code on all
platforms, since they simply do not have access to all platforms!

One depends on other people to test, but if those people don't do that,
things will fail unexpectedly... New ffmpeg libs are in since last
year, which should have given the platform maintainers plenty of time
to make things work.

But real life experience(tm) tells, that such things only get fixed right
before release, anything else is wishfull thinking ...

That said: if there are backtraces on which I should take a look, I will
try to help where I can.

Sincerely,
Peter