[Bf-committers] (Peach) Softbody for particles needed...

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Jan 15 14:13:12 CET 2008

On 15/01/2008, at 9:35 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> -> once you make hair particles editable, you cannot use forcefields
> on
> them anymore (or use softbody)
>
> I do understand why (animation vs physics conflict), but simulation
> accuracy is not an issue here. What we need is just artistic control,
> as if you have an animatable 'comb' to force hairs in certain
> directions.

I'd really like this as well, it's quite a huge limitation - it's
quite rare that you'll have a hair particle system and *not* use the
excellent styling tools on it.

Anyway if this doesn't end up working out, may I offer up another
suggestion (or additional request :) ?

It would be really useful for me right now to have 'Particle Shapes',
similar to mesh shapes, i.e. stored 'snapshots' of the edited particle
system - basically just storing the current (or difference in)
position, length, etc of all the particle key points.

Right now I'm working on a furry character for a series of
illustrations. The character's rigged, and posed in different poses
for the different illustrations. Inevitably, I have to end up doing
additional brushing on the fur for each pose, to make it look good,
and match the reference/sketches from the client. It's sometimes the
case that certain poses move the underlying mesh surface in was that
cause fur that was previously smooth, to stick up in strange angles.

Right now, I've got a base pose, and I'm starting to save the entire
character out to separate files in the various poses, and doing the
additional brushing on top of that. This is a nasty situation, and
it's going to be very tricky when the client wants the inevitable
model changes, the different files will diverge and diverge and make
it very difficult to ripple changes through.

It would be great if I could just define a number of 'particle shapes'
for the various poses that are just stored alongside the main particle
system. Then changing pose would just be a matter of loading up the
new action, and switching to the correct particle shape. Such a system
could also be conceivably animated too, interpolating between them
like mesh shapes. You could then use that to hand-animate at least the
more obvious particle motions, such as the sideburns on the Peach
character. Might even be a bit easier to tame than softbody sims! Or
at least it would be useful for fixing up weird looking fur at certain
frames in animations.

Anyway, just an idea, it would be extremely useful to me!

cheers,

Matt