[Bf-committers] MSVC 9 compile bug in revision 13509

Nathan Letwory nathan at letwory.net
Sat Feb 16 09:49:41 CET 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 10:46 AM, Paul Roukema <roukemap at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was building the trunk using version 6.1 of the Windows SDK.
> Compiler version is cl.exe Version 15.00.20706.01 for 80x86
>
> Encountered the following error:
>
> d:\dev\blender\trunk\intern\elbeem\intern\isosurface.cpp(367) : fatal error
> C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
>  (compiler file
> 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c[0x72DB00CB:0x2EE09EFC]', line 182)
>  To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near
> the locations listed above.
> Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
> Internal Compiler Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 9.0\VC
> \bin\cl.exe.  You will be prompted to send an error report to Microsoft
> later.
>  scons: ***
> [D:\dev\blender\build\win32-vc\intern\elbeem\intern\isosurface.obj] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> I know this isn't exactly blender's fault but it is triggering an error in
> an important build environment.

Important or not, I think that msvc7 and msvc8 are the most used for
development of Blender. I do have access to a msvc9 compiler, but I'm
pretty confident to say that we currently support msvc7 and msvc8.
Also, we haven't done really tests against Windows SDK. The latest
official release still has been compiled against Platform SDK 2003,
and I'm sure we'll do so for the next release.

That said, I have already built Blender with scons/msvc9, where the
compiler is installed through the professional version of VS 2008.
Anyway, saying that it is an important build environment is a bit
premature, considering that it only recently has been released. We'll
stick with msvc7 and msvc8 for now, and when msvc9 matures, we'll look
again.

/Nathan