[Bf-committers] Curvature Input

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Thu Dec 25 09:51:40 CET 2008

Hi,

Mathias Panzenböck wrote:
> Normals do not work because the effect is view vector independent and it
> distinguishes between "hill tops" and "valleys". But using a effect dependant on
> a x/y/z offset will obviously not work, because the surface is round. Its a
> bronze statue where there is corrosion in grooves and where there is shiny
> bronze otherwise.

Curvature is typically computed at edges, with the dot product between
the normals of two adjacent faces. I don't think there is a way to get
that kind of result with existing options.

>>     I'd like to make a material which color depends to the curvature of
>>     the surface
>>     of the mesh. I figured this would be much like the stress input
>>     option for
>>     texture coordinates. So my question is, at which files I'd have to
>>     look to add
>>     such an option?

You basically answered the question yourself, just find files with the
  word "stress" in them and implement it similarly. It really would be
exactly same code except for the function that actually computes the
values.

Brecht.