[Bf-committers] VPAC Summer Internship Program

Alex Fraser adfries at vpac.org
Thu Dec 18 00:02:47 CET 2008

Hi Ton,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you about this. We have been deciding what to have our interns work on.

----- "Ton Roosendaal" <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Blender has a quite advanced fluid simulator library. And although it
> would be interesting to explore (parellel?) GPU based fluid sim, I
> doubt that's a feasible target for anyone in such a short period.
> For interns, as for the Google Summer of Code project we do, defining
> a more simple and feasible project might work much better. Not to
> forget, the previously acquired skills of a student defines a lot.

Thank you for your advice. I think you're right. Our interns will be researching general methods of porting CPU code to GPU code.

> If an intern still has to get acquinted with GLSL coding, checking on
> what's now in Blender and adding some simple extra features could work
> well. If you can get a more experienced GLSL developer, there's very
> interesting new GLSL features to explore. This then depends on whether
> you want to align with our roadmap mostly, or whether you want
> something to be added for own application first. :)
>
> We don't have an active GLSL wishlist, others might be able to tell
> better than me. Maybe you can tell us a bit more about your own
> interests or development targets?

Our interests are mostly in physics (e.g. fluids and crash) simulations and molecular dynamics. In the future we may also look at creating some special purpose shaders.

Thanks again,
Alex