[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 api proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 05:28:54 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Toni Alatalo <antont at kyperjokki.fi> wrote:
>> I agree with Cambpell and Joe that dropping the old api in 2.50, but
>> helping with a py written Blender module with functions people are
>> familiar with, is probably the way to go. People depending on existing
>> scripts that are not ported can stick to 2.4x in the time being.
>>
>> Without knowing the 2.50 work well but based on the reading have done
>> in the wikis etc. the plans seem good to me otherwise too.
>>
>> One concern I have is PyRNA's ability to support NumPy, i.e.
>> fast/direct access to memory buffers like the positions of all vertices
>> of a mesh, all particles of a particle system, or the values of all
>> pixels in a compositing node, to process them efficiently from py
>> (change all of them in one py call).
> Your right, PyRNA does not give especially fast access.
> Id prefer de
>
>> I am not a great expert there, but recently got more experience by
>> writing a real-time thing with pygame & numpy for an artist friend
>> where am manipulating all pixels individually with numpy ops, and after
>> got the hang of it found it a great way to work. So am still guessing
>> that it'll be a killer feat for at least compositing nodes, but
>> possibly for 3d things too (would be fun to try to manipulate mesh
>> geoms, but afaik there is no tool yet that supports that (unless
>> pyopengl directly somehow?)).
>>
>> As Theo de Ridder told and showed us in the 2007 conf, all that's
>> needed to enable numpy manipulation is to implement the minimal Python
>> buffer protocol on the c side, which basically is just returning a
>> pointer to the array. It was revised for Python 3000, which is also
>> backported to 2.6 and documented in
>> http://docs.python.org/c-api/objbuffer.html .. the current 2.5.2 docs
>> at http://www.python.org/doc/api/bufferObjects.html tell more about the
>> usage. For those who were not there, Theo had added buffer access to
>> shape keys, so he could animate a swarm of fishes swimming by having
>> the fishes as dupliverts and manipulating the keybuffer directly in
>> memory using numpy. I asked Jahka and the particles in a particle
>> systems are there similarily as a continuous memory chunk, so the same
>> could be done there.
>>
>> For something that is not a buffer but e.g. a linked list, I guess it
>> may still make sense to implement an interface to numpy in c, in order
>> to not iterate on the py side (which is slow) but just define the
>> operations there, and iterate in native code instead. But I haven't
>> looked into that yet .. dunno if exposing even something like
>> scene.objects as a numpy array might be interesting for some cases? (at
>> least if Blender is restructured internally so that it'd support
>> hundreds of thousands of objects more efficiently ;)
>>
>> So my 2 cents from outside of the inner loop is that please don't make
>> it difficult to use numpy, but consider where it'd be good to support -
> [...]

Thanks for everyone's feedback,  I'll go ahead with the proposal...
* Complete auto generated API (rna, operators)
* Add necessary utility functions + python helpers + BPy2.4x API compat helpers
* Leave open the option to add the 2.4x API  back into 2.5, if things
don't work out with the new API.
* Leave open the option to use python 3.0
* No langauges other then python
* No support for faster/direct access (numpy)

- Campbell