[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 api proposal.

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Dec 1 20:27:19 CET 2008

Hi Campbell,

I'm no py user, so a lot I can't review. Keeping things compatible, or
easy to migrate, would of course help everyone getting their (very
important) im/exporters work. But thats what everyone agrees on I
think.

As for the main goals of the rewrite:

"Features available in blender should also be available in python"

I'd rather reverse that:

"Features exposed in Python's API should also be available in Blender".

This is worded by Chris Want as well ("focus on writing a decent C
library/API").
I do realize this is not really a 2.5 spec, but for at least in two
areas we'll be doing that: for wrapping RNA and Operators. Hopefully we
can also solve this very good for the definitions of UIs
(button/panel/toolbar stuff).

What remains is a lot of calls like "Add constraint" or "Delete
modifier", which is currently a very undefined piece of Blender code,
closely tied to the buttons for such options. At this moment it's well
possible we don't tackle all of that via Operators, still allowing
direct callbacks to buttons (just for the sake of simpler migration).

I don't know how important such operators are in Python now, but it
would be *very* nice if people who add such functions in Python only do
this via proper C calls in Blender, even when it means to first cleanup
(API-fy with Operators) Blender.
One idea to resolve this is to make a shortlist of the most important
py 'operators' that should get wrapped at least for the first version
of 2.50?

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands