[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 api proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:05:15 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM,  <jmsoler at free.fr> wrote:
> Selon joe <joeedh at gmail.com>:
>
>> That being said, if there's a way to have *some* sort of compatibility API,
>> I'm all for it.  I just don't really think it's possible to do, without
>> writing a lot of new code (though one idea would be to write a set of
>> emulation modules in python, that emulate the old API; just don't know if
>> it'd be doable).
>
> +1

The proposal does mention this (Backwards Compatibility, second point).

Having a python "Blender" module that would make moving some scripts
to 2.5 easier, Though Is not realistic to have all the functionality.
Id just add functions as needed while porting importers/exporters, of
course others could make this api more complete if they wanted.

I'm not convinced it will be as useful as you might expect.
while moving scripts from NMesh to Mesh API I wrote a Mesh wrapper
that looked like NMesh. I thought it would be useful but I ended up
just using the Mesh API directly, it just wasnt such a big deal to
move from NMesh to Mesh.

Currently the only scripts that use NMesh are unweld.py,
rvk1_torvk2.py, envelope_symmetry.py, discombobulator.py, collada,
bevel_center and directx8-export.

- Campbell