[Bf-committers] Peach developer wishlist

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Sep 7 22:38:37 CEST 2007

Hi Alfredo,

Alfredo de Greef wrote:
> So I guess the peach team has given up hope to ever
> see the micropolygon renderer? Not that it is no way
> near a full solution to their problems of course. But
> I haven't heard from anyone so I thought I could
> stretch my time a bit more, I probably shouldn't have
> done that I guess...
> Of course, that I haven't shown myself ever since the
> announcement probably didn't help either.

The "Fur rendering" and "Rendering of complex environments"
items, are two problems that micropolygons are a solution for
(not the complete solution, but a large part). We have not
discarded micropolygons at all, though of course we can't
wait much longer.

> In any case, if it still has a chance, one of the
> things I just *had* to try to get working was the
> shader compiler, which, at least in its current form
> is probably even almost totally useless to Blender.
> Anyway, that is sort of working now, but this means I
> still have to tie up a few loose ends and do the
> general clean up, then I can commit.

Any idea when you would do this commit? Our plan for Peach
is to have fur editing and rendering basically done by
mid November. I want to start working on this a few weeks
before Peach starts in October.

Could you send me the code at least for now? Even if it
is incomplete, doesn't compile, whatever. Just to get an
idea of what the state it is, how it works and how it
could integrate with Blender.

> (btw, about the HDR aliasing problem, as I mentioned
> to broken some time ago, the way I dealt with that in
> yafray is simply by clamping/tone mapping *before*
> anti-aliasing, not afterwards. Of course, as broken
> then remarked, I forgot about the compositor. If the
> compositor had full access to all samples that would
> solve that problem, but the data would then probably
> be quite unmanagable, at least in its current form)

During the Peach workshop Ton talked about compositing on
all samples. But as you mention, that would need render
pipeline and compositor improvements to keep it manageable.

Cheers,
Brecht.