[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 20:34:05 CET 2007

--- Emmanuel Stone <emmanuel.stone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that this needs to be done, I've been
> avoiding UI stuff for
> this very reason.
>
> I'm not sure if Alexander's was suggesting exactly
> this, but I would
> quite like an 'idiot mode' where you can just push
> buttons onto a
> stack in rows, that autoscale to become the panel:
>
> e.g.
>
>  uiBlockBeginPanel(...);
>
>   // Row with single button taking entire width
>   uiBlockBeginRow(...);
>    uiBut...() ;
>  uiBlockEndRow();
>
>   // Two buttons scaled to 50% each
>   uiBlockBeginRow(...);
>    uiBut...();
>    uiBut...() ;
>  uiBlockEndRow();
> uiBlockBeginPanel();
>
> Obviously it should be able to handle other widgets
> too, such as
> spacers and whatnot.

If that can automatically calculate optimum button
width depending on their content, great, but I think
I'd prefer Alex's relative sizing/positioning idea
better.

The stack idea is fine though, that's pretty much what
has to be done already because of the way align block
works.

--- trip somewhere <trip0o at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not use something akin to css ?
> That would open the door up to logical ui designing
> and css is really
> simple here since it does not have to render in web
> broswers hell.
> Just Blender ui hell :P

None of the S in CSS stand for SIMPLE, so lets not go
there, please.

Martin