[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 9 18:41:44 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Joe Eagar wrote:

> Also I have to disagree on such a policy; it'd encourage students to
> abandon projects if they feel theres no way to meet the deadline, even
> if they spend a great deal of time on 'em.  This year several of the

Well. Deadlines are there to be met, if not, you don't need a deadline. I'm
not always the right person to make such a statement because I also miss
deadlines in my commercial stuff, but if you don't even have a GOAL to meet
the deadline, you can scrap the deadline altogether.

> GSoC projects did get pretty much working on-time (mine before goal
> changes, the audio one, GLSL and the bevel one I believe).  None were
> acutally merged into trunk, which is weird.  Certainly GLSL, bevel and
> audio seem to be relatively finished.

That's why I was saying "it doesn't always seem to be the pupils' fault". Of
the 5 projects this year, NONE is yet in trunk, and two have not been synced
for more than 2 months, which might roughly be equivalent to "unsyncable by
now".

The later it gets, the less probable it becomes for them to get in, because
it will become more and more difficult to merge them as code changes in
trunk, especially in the dawn of Peach... it's a pity, that was all I was
trying to say.

Alexander Ewering

[ i n s t i n c t i v e . ]   http://www.instinctive.de

Zur Waldeshoehe 6                    Tel.: 02393-220558
59846 Sundern                         Fax: 02393-220559
Germany                xx-mail: xx-mail.com/instinctive