[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Sat May 19 22:35:29 CEST 2007

> I work for 3Dconnexion and I am currently working on adding support to
> Blender for our 6DOF devices. I am definitively interested!
>
> Let me first say that the license of our SDK has just changed (1 hour ago).
> The new license (see below) allows redistribution of the SDK. One reason for
> us to change the license was to make it possible to work with Blender, so
> hopefully that's fixed now. In any case, if there are any legal problems
> with the license we can work things out to solve them. Just let me know. :-)

As I understand it, 3dconnexion is in the business of selling
hardware. So why not release the _entire_ SDK (including drivers for
all operating systems!) as GPL? Or even public domain? I looked at the
UNIX SDK code, and it is only 600 lines of C.

I can't think of any reason not to release the code with a license
that's compatible with the majority of open source projects. I can see
only upsides. If anything, it would sell more devices. Releasing the
code under the GPL does not cause copyright to be lost; you can still
release the code to under other licenses. Furthermore, I suggest
hosting the code on launchpad under a version control system (bzr or
svn)  so it is easier for newcomers to contribute.

Since this would bring more Linux users who also the most likely to be
coders, neat new developments might happen. I'd love to use a
SpaceNavigator for Beryl or my own 3D projects. I may have to get a
SpaceNavigator if the SDK becomes GPL :)

Cheers,
Keir

!DSPAM:18,464f5f9836377279019058!