[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Fri May 18 21:38:23 CEST 2007

On 5/18/07 3:39 AM, "Jean-Luc Peurière" <jlp at nerim.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately the license agreement they request for using their SDK
> is not and cannot be make GPL compatible.
/cut/
> So who would be interest to tackle with me this, and add HID support
> on all 3 major OS we support (Windows, linux, Os X) ? once we support
> those, adding support for the other unices should be straightforward.

Hi Jean-Luc,

I work for 3Dconnexion and I am currently working on adding support to
Blender for our 6DOF devices. I am definitively interested!

Let me first say that the license of our SDK has just changed (1 hour ago).
The new license (see below) allows redistribution of the SDK. One reason for
us to change the license was to make it possible to work with Blender, so
hopefully that's fixed now. In any case, if there are any legal problems
with the license we can work things out to solve them. Just let me know. :-)

"My" current implementation uses the new SDK and it works (more or less) on
Windows. I started coding the Mac solution as well. The advantage for using
the SDK is that it makes things easier to implement. I modified the patch
available from the projects site, consisting in a few device-independent
wrapper extensions to GHOST and a dlopen'ed plugin with device-specific,
platform-specific code. All SDK calls are contained inside the plugin,
eventually allowing other plugins to be used. Just to make clear we are not
locked in with 3Dconnexion only support using this architecture.

Adding HID/DirectInput/Xinput support is not excluded by this implementation
either, it's just much longer to implement. Our objective is to have
something going quickly and it would be great if we could do that.
Eventually, once HID support is ready we could scope out the SDK plugin if
we want that.

Ettore

--------

3DCONNEXION SDK SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This 3Dconnexion Software Developer Kit (³3Dconnexion SDK²) (available for
Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux) is provided to you by 3Dconnexion in
consideration of your acceptance to the installation, use, reproduction and
distribution terms as stated below.  If you do not accept these terms, you
should not continue with the installation, use, reproduction and
distribution of the 3Dconnexion SDK.

1. License Grant:

    Subject to the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement,
3Dconnexion grants to you a personal limited non-exclusive, nontransferable,
nonsublicensable, world-wide, royalty-free, revocable license to install,
use, copy, modify and distribute in object code form the 3Dconnexion SDK;
provided that no license is granted under any patents that may be or later
become infringed by your modifications or derivative works in which the
3Dconnexion SDK may be incorporated.

2. Attribution Requirements and Trademark License:

2.1     You must provide attribution to 3Dconnexion in the "About" or "Info"
box menu items (or equivalent) of your software application in the format
set forth below:

    Development tools and related technology provided under license from
3Dconnexion. © 1992 ­ 2007 3Dconnexion.  All rights reserved.

THE 3DCONNEXION SDK AND ALL MATERIALS PROVIDED HEREUNDER BY 3DCONNEXION ARE
PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.  3DCONNEXION AND ITS
AFFILIATED COMPANIES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT REGARDING THE 3DCONNEXION SDK
AND ALL MATERIALS OR ITS USE AND OPERATION ALONE OR IN COMBINATION WITH ANY
PRODUCT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL 3DCONNEXION OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) ARISING IN
ANY WAY OUT OF USE,  REPRODUCTION, MODIFICATON AND/OR DISTRIBUTION, OR THE
INABILITY TO USE, ANY PORTION OF THE 3DCONNEXION SDK OR ITS DERIVATIVES OR
MODIFICATIONS, AND ANY OF THE MATERIALS PROVIDED HEREUNDER BY 3DCONNEXION,
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE), EVEN IF 3DCONNEXION
OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGES. Because some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion
or limitation of consequential or incidental damages, the above limitation
may not apply to you.

!DSPAM:18,464e01bf36377352610422!