[Bf-committers] Re: Subversion to come!

Marco Walraven m.walraven at terantula.com
Mon Mar 26 11:17:03 CEST 2007

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 09:35:29AM -0600, Chris Want wrote:
> Marco Walraven wrote:
> > - Chris his question (password retype) was anwsered, dunno if my email
> > came through but the rest pointed out this is not going to be a problem.
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I was told that SVN uses ssh/keys as
> an option (in fact this is the access method that Gnome uses). Using
> ssh/keys is very secure, and has worked very well for us in the past,
> so why don't we continue to use this method? Using some kind of
> unencrypted disk-caching of credentials strikes me as being as
> insecure as using pserver with CVS.
Cause we have over 4000 users with user accounts on the system, I am not a fan of that, difficult to maintain and script (create user accounts from DB). Ssh/key access is indeed very neat but do we really need military grade security ? Subversion webdav solution is IMHO easier to maintain, available over https and can use htdigest. Unencrypted disk-caching is on the user system, the communication however is secure, pserver's communication over the wire was insecure.

 M.

--
 Terantula - Industrial Strength Open Source
 phone:+31 64 3232 400 / www: http://www.terantula.com / pgpkey: E7EE7A46