[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri Jan 19 22:33:04 CET 2007

Hi,
tbaldridge at gmail.com (2007-01-19 at 1407.10 -0600):
> I guess I'm out of the loop, what happened to the SDNA that caused the
> sudden issue? I thought it was caused by a lack of foresight back in
> the infant days of blender. Which doesn't sound like Ton at all.
>
> Anyone want to enlighten me on the specifics?

Blender was designed with 32/64 bit and little/big endian in mind and
it worked that way in the begining [check the 1.80 Linux Alpha "ELF
64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.0.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.0.0, stripped"]. Then people started to contribute code without
paying attention to the details and things broke.

So now all code of past years have to be checked and as Alex mentioned
docs should be written (I would add that new contribs should only be
accepted after checking, even if that is a bit nasty, but better than
having another "cleanup needed" in the future).

GSR