[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at gmx.net
Fri Jan 19 12:40:53 CET 2007

Am Freitag, 19. Januar 2007 10:47 schrieb Ton Roosendaal:
> I cannot emphasise enough that Blender is not 64 bits safe yet. Files
> you write with 64 bits Blenders now might corrupt 32 bits Blender
> versions. Using library referencing won't work, and not to forget the
> code itself isn't 64 bits safe, meaning you most likely won't have the
> possibility to reliably use  up to 8 or 16 GB memory.
>
> To warn developers/users for this situation I've added a line of code
> in Blender that exits when you compile a 64 bits, with this message:
>
> "64 bits compiles will give incorrectly saved .blend files. Do not use
> it. For testing purposes please remove this line from creator.c"
>
> This exiting is a bit unfriendly yes, but it's easy to locate this line
> and remove it for your own compiles. At least people then cannot claim
> they didn't know. :)

That's very sad. Is there a detailed Todo-list for a 64bit-safe Blender? I
really, really could use one, since we only use AMD64 or similar machines
now, and the newer ones often come with more than 4 GB of RAM.

I am using my own-compiled version on Linux x86_64, but I am also not using
library referencing and my current machine only has 4 GB of RAM.

Arne

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899