[Bf-committers] Expanding the layers in Blender

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 23:01:57 CET 2007

"As mentioned in a previous post,bit fields to flag as layer numbers are no
good after you shift past 1<<31"

I tried finding this in my archives here, but I could not. So please
explain, why are they useless. What was wrong with the example I gave?
All you need is a bitfield 8 ints long, and then loop it when it comes
time to render. Create a global linked list with each item having a id
for the layer they represent, and a string for the name.

There's no reason to not use bitfields. They are fast efficient, and
will be heavily optimized by the compiler.

Timothy