[Bf-committers] Re: Linux, Windowed by default (patch, needs discussion)

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Tue Apr 10 15:27:36 CEST 2007

Daniel Genrich schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> I really love that patch because it enables the possibility to use
> Blender with Beryl window manager (linux) enabled.
> It's sort of pain to switch the window manager each time you want to use
> Blender and every other application just works fine.
> This great patch changes that!
>
> Greetings and good work!
> Daniel (Genscher)

Blender + Beryl shouldn't be aproblem. Just call blender -w and it opens blender
in a window. I use following .desktop file for a menu entry in KDE (should work
also with gnome, its a freedesktop.org standard):

cat /usr/share/applications/blender.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Blender 3D
Comment=3D modeling, animation and rendering
Comment[de]=3D Modellierung, Animation und Rendering
Exec=blender -w %U
Icon=blender
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Application;Graphics;3DGraphics;

When I call Alt+F2 and enter blender, it runs this .desktop file -> blender in a window. :)
But most of the time I run blender from yakuake, so I can see the terminal output.

	-panzi