[Bf-committers] CMake build options

Tony Agee tonyagee at cox.net
Mon Nov 20 23:08:29 CET 2006

<quote>
> But I stand by what I said earlier, there should be a "CMake-config.txt"
in
> the blender dir, that is not under source control, that contains the
primary
> options for the makefile generation phase.

No, I think this is a bad idea. It means that you will only
want one config for every build you make with that source dir.
</quote>

No, it means I have one set of initial defaults (that suit ME and MY system)
for any build dir I choose to configure later, so that when I run ccmake I
only have to change the things that are relevant to THIS build.

<quote>
> # cmake -D PYTHON_LIB=/usr/local/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.so -D \
> PYTHON_INC=/usr/local/include/python2.3 -G "Unix Makefiles" ../blender

I don't use that at all.
</quote>

The only reason I tried it was to tshoot why python wasn't getting linked
with the default configuration, which should have worked! But the main
reason I brought it up, is that -like many people I suppose- I consider
comments in the makefiles to be a form of documentation, and when the
documentation is bogus, that's bad.

<quote>
ccmake ../blender
</quote>

Well, doing it that way (instead of cmake ../blender first, then ccmake to
change things) is better. It eliminates the need to know what CMakeCache.txt
is for. I started off doing it the way I did, because that's what the few
hints I was able to find seemed to indicate.

Thanks much for the feedback!
Tony.