[Bf-committers] SVG Import

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sun Dec 17 16:14:36 CET 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Alberto Torres wrote:

> It can't be filled with the 3D option enabled. I didn't know how to
> set the curve filled until I read the manual. Press C key to toggle
> fill.
>
> Btw, I wonder why I can't separate all loose parts with P key as I can
> with meshes. I also see the very slow effect when importing a lot (>
> 20 I think) of svg curves. The culprit is probably the curve-filling
> system which should be improved and optimized (it's easy to see fill
> errors when 2 curves intersect).

As the maintainer of DTPBlender, I'll say a few things about 2D curves and
paths import here ;)

I've filed various bug reports about paths import in the past, and some
problems have indeed been fixed, though it's mostly still not very usable
for anything slightly more complex.

However, this is not always the fault of the importer script.

Also, there's a bit of confusion in this thread.

- C doesn't toggle curve filling. It toggles the "cyclic" flag, which means
   if a curve is closed or not. Of course, if it isn't closed, it can't be
   filled.

- If a curve is filled or not can be toggled with the "Back" and "Front"
   toggles in the editbuttons

- The "3D" button toggles the ability of a curve shape to exit a pre-defined
   plane. Obviously, this also toggles fill, as there is no way to correctly
   fill a non-planar curve as there is no information on how to do this

- Several seperate overlapping cyclic curves in a single object can overlap.
   If they have the same material index, blender's filler will use an
   "even/odd" rule to decide which parts to fill and which not to. Of course,
   this can only work if they *totally* overlap. Partial overlaps lead to
   unpredictable results.

- If you want several partially overlapping cyclic curves and want to fill
   them all independantly, either use seperate material indices, or add
   dl->charidx (ported from DTPBlender) UI access to give them seperate
   filling indices.