[Bf-committers] shrinking multires memory usage

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 11:34:19 CET 2006

is there anyone willing to look at multires memory usage?

Currently trying to go to 1.6 million faces crashes on Windows XP,
whereas on OS X I can reach 1.6 million but it can easily end up
exceeding the 2 GB limit (actual limit appears to be somewhat higher0
for a process and crash; whereas for subsurf modifier i can reach 6
million faces on Windows XP.  Obviously multires has to store a great
deal more information than subsurf.

(Note that I'm on puny hardware - 464 MB ram on windows, and 768 MB
for OS X, so I'm swapping heavily getting that high).

i suspect that the savings of even a short per face might be enough
for 1.6 million faces to survive on windows and OS X.

Are there any 64 bit users who have seen how high a polycount they can
get with multires?

LetterRip