[Bf-committers] blender doesn't play well with gettext

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:01:18 CET 2006

I was browsing the rosetta site for ubuntu, and noticed there is a
diff against blender 2.42

http://librarian.launchpad.net/5070534/blender_2.42a-5.diff.gz

Part of it is a note with the following,

"Because Blender src does not put character strings in function "_",
the GETTEXT application can not strip out the strings.

This script writes almost all of the msgids into PO file in a clean
structure. Thus we can translate it easily.

To custom your script, roll down till "if __name__=='__main__'"

Note, if a string is stored in a variant, no program knows and then
write it's value to PO file. So we always have to search the unfound
msgid manually.

If anybody find a bug, or knows how to use re module to search and
strip out  the strings, please let me know. Thanx."

so, how difficult would it be to switch over to the apparently more
common method, is there anyone willing to do this?

LetterRip