[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel BKE_brush.h blender/source/blender/blenkernel/bad_level_call_stubs stubs.c blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern brush.c texture.c blender/source/blender/blenloader/intern readfile.c writefile.c blender/source/blender/imbuf IMB_imbuf.h blender/source/blender/imbuf/intern ...

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Aug 3 04:09:44 CEST 2006

On 03/08/2006, at 08:48 AM, bjornmose wrote:
> Humm about 'em texture brushes ...it's like opening pandoras box ..
> i know that you know :)
> Now with the noodles available users will yell for brushes coming
> out of the noodle factory.
> Not that it is a bad idea ... but how to communicate that on the UI ?

That would be really cool, actually, it would allow layering etc.
Well the composite nodes just output an image block, like the viewer
node or render result, though these are disabled for use as textures
for the potential recursive weirdness. Though one could conceivably
write a 'texture output' node that does the same thing, but just
checks and disables any 'dynamic' input nodes like a renderlayer
output. Then it would just be a matter of choosing that image block
for the texture, I suppose.

> Further more ( i had that requests with clone brush) scale,
> rotate!, offset,  pre_alpha + post _alpha blending ... even make it
> implicitely 3d aware .. breathe ...breathe deep ... deeper ... shut
> up.
> And .. is it worth pulling functionality that 'should' be available
> via verse from gimp 'soon' ?
> Or are we going to replace gimp'n fellows in the image edit window?
> ... i know you (we) can .. but i feel this is a bit loosing
> blenders focus <------ out of the stomach statement!

I wouldn't say it's losing focus, myself - especially if this
eventually ends up involving 3d paint (well, improving the unusably
slow texture paint that we have currently). Looking at some of the
Modo demo videos shows how nice a well integrated painting system can
be.

Obviously Blender shouldn't be duplicating GIMP in total, but I also
don't think that GIMP's existence should prevent making tangible
improvements in Blender. The existence of Wings doesn't prevent
people making modelling tools, nor did the existence of other video
editors prevent the recent upgrades to the sequencer. Personally I
don't use GIMP anyway, I don't like it that much, it's dog slow at
sensitivity here either. Texture painting is an integral part of 3D
graphics work, just as much as compositing, and even if you use
external paint apps, it can still be useful to block out areas in
Blender, with the much quicker feedback in the 3D View.

Just my thoughts too :)

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb • matt at mke3.nethttp://mke3.net