[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Scott Johnson scottj at cs.und.edu
Tue Apr 25 22:32:27 CEST 2006

You are referring to the feature that would allow the use of GLSL as a
new draw view type?  If you are willing to help me with the workflows
and maybe algorithm design, I feel confident that I would be able to
achieve a significant amount of work in developing code for the
renderer.  I could work the shaders in as part of a project that would
extend the renderer as a whole to output OpenGL renders.  I know that
this is a feature that was requested by some people, and already discussed.

Depending on the implementation of the system which runs Blender,
different standards of OpenGL could be used.  It is trivial to detect
which OGL standard a particular host OS runs.  If a host is running OGL
2.0, great, then the shaders would be incorporated.  If not, the user
would be confined only to available implementation features in the
OpenGL renderer.

If desired, I could have something that even output the OpenGL code that
would be used to render the object/scene in question.  This might be
advantageous to some programmers that use OpenGL with a separate game
engine.  This is irrelevant, however, because it would simply entail
outputting code that already needed to be generated as part of the
process of rendering using GL.
~Scott