py drawing to 3dview (Re: [Bf-committers] User-defined Material Properties)

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 03:27:15 CEST 2005

Greg,

> I think the most important thing Blender needs to do right
> now is replace the internal data model with
> an extensible, object oriented design.

Could you please expand on why you think that is most important?

I am the 'unofficial' Blender marketing and competitive analysis guy.
There are a number of market segments both compound and individual
which Blender could be considered a competitor in

DCC - digital content creation - this is a massive over arching market
- competitors include Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, Cinema 4D, Lightwave,
Houdini, Project Messiah, and Hash Animation Master

They are complete pipeline tools - and include tools for modeling,
uvmapping, texturing, rigging, animating, particles, and rendering as
well as optional simulation tools such as fluids, flame and smoke,
hair, and crowds; and optional compositing tools.

Then there are standalone tools in each of the above categories - and
subcategories for each as well - for instance Modeling has Subdivision
surface modeling, polygon modeling, NURBS modeling, metaball modeling,
etc.  With dedicated tools such as Silo, Modo, Wings3d, Rhino, etc.
Or texturing BodyPaint; Or for animation - Animanium or Character
Studio; or Rendering - PRMan, or VRay.

Or you might consider Blender a competitor in the Architectual Preview
category - in which case features such as Non Photo real rendering,
improved drawing like tools; CAD compatibility; and interactivite
walkthroughs become important.

Or perhaps the Previs market - where better camera controls, and more
physical like camera movement; along with easily available premade
content is important.

There are a number of other markets that we could consider Blender a
'competitor' in as well.  Those are just the ones off the top of my
head.

For all of the above markets, while Blender certainly has its
limitations, I just don't see where replacement of the internal object
model would be of substantial benefit to the end user, and is
something that developers should find to be obvious that they should
devote their time to if they care about the needs of their potential
end users.

LetterRip