[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] libtiff comments

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 19:04:01 CET 2005

Please note I wasn't trying to blame anyone, but we've
had the same discussion on IRC about someone else's
commit breaking scons and I thought now would be a
good time to have a more open to all talk on the
matter.

--- Kent Mein <mein at cs.umn.edu> wrote:

> I may be a bit unconservative in what I think should
> be committed to cvs...
> But, I think its unreasonable to expect code that
> adds new dependencies,
> to build out of the box right away on every
> platform, the way things are
> setup currently.
> I also think its unreasonable to expect developers
> to make sure it builds
> on every build system.  The reason I bring this up
> is, the section of
> code I'm in charge of is very prone to this issue,
> and I'm sure this will
> come up again once I have the new makefiles
> finished.  (It's a bigger
> project and I'm putting a lot more effort into
> makeing sure things are
> as close to working on all systems as possible.)

Agreed on all points.
If people aren't sure their contribution will build on
all platform, it's probably a good idea to hide them
behind ifdefs (if possible), like Erwin did with
Bullet.

> I think if this is something we are worried about
> there needs to be a
> standardized method that is published, and also has
> a good/reasonable
> response time.
> (It shouldn't be a bottle neck for new things
> getting added to the code,
> I fear that a lot of developers already think is
> difficult to get something
> into the code, and I think we should try to make
> this easier not harder.)

Agreed too. The whole patch business could very well
get a speed up too.

> I also think we should have buildsystem maintainers
> just like we have
> platform maintainers, and they should be more
> visible as well.
> I'll even volunteer to be the Makefile person and or
> a Makefile person
> if someone else is interested.

Yup, that and docs on how to modify the
makefiles/scons to add new libraries and stuff like
that would be nice too. (As in specific to blender
docs, not "read the makefile man pages").

regards,
Martin