[Bf-committers] commandline nightmare

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 29 16:24:21 CEST 2005

Daniel Dunbar wrote:
> No msvc does not have getopt.
>
> Would using getopt be significantly less work than
> just cleaning up the code a bit? Doesn't seem like
> blender needs to do that complicated argument parsing.

Yeah, it could probably be cleaned up. I guess
the thing that I am most disappointed by is
the way that the order of arguments is important,
but I suppose getopt wouldn't fix that anyway.
The one advantage that using getopt would have
is that it would enforce a well known standard
on the way that commandline args are handled
(e.g., stuff like -p 0 0 300 300 is very
non-standard and uses 5 members of the argv
array).

My desired application is to send arguments on the
commandline to python scripts, so I want to look
at a solution that is more robust than the current
implementation.

Chris