[Bf-committers] Project openings

Jeremy Wall zaphar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:54:27 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:22:46 -0600, Jean-Michel Smith
<jeanmichel.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:04:43 +0100, Luigi Monaco <zdys at zdys.de> wrote:
> >
> > i meant NOT to change the extension. keep it as it is. if you want to compress,
> > let blender handle it. backwards compatibility is a point, spread the news that
> > files done with an actual blender version may have to be gunzipped before being
> > used in older versions.
>
> Or perhaps let blender compress it (using bzip2 or whatever is
> preffered) and change the .blend extention to .cblend instead.
> Blender does the compression/decompression, the file extention
> differentiates between compressed and uncompressed .blends, and
> windoze can be made to behave and associate .cblends (or whatever
> they're called) with blender.  As an aside I think it's unfortunate
> (and ineligant) that yet another gaping design flaw in windows should
> dictate a convention like this for a cross platform application, where
> every other platform can deal with the appropriate .blend.gz and even
> allow 3rd party apps to decompress it correctly, but OTOH I hate to
> see artists using that platform put at even more of a disadvantage
> than they already are.

I really think leaving the .blend extension as it is and letting
blender handle the compressed not compressed would be the best
solution. Just add to the faq that from whichever version on files may
need to be decompressed before opening. That way the least amount of
change has to be added to windows.

As a side note. On unix platforms the compressed files will be
identified as zipped archives and not blender files, unless the
extension mime type defined for the desktop overrides it. So even unix
workstations will be affected by a differing extension. It's not just
a windows problem in that respect.

Jeremy Wall