[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Animation project

GSR - FR famrom at infernal-iceberg.com
Sat Jan 15 20:06:47 CET 2005

stephane.soppera at wanadoo.fr (2005-01-15 at 1914.14 +0000):
> > But
> >I guess Bezier and the use of the correct handle type for each point
> >would be better, things require acceleration in many cases.
> >

> What do you mean? By default blender already use bezier and default
> bezier automatic handles.

I mean that many things in real world do not go to speed N from speed
0 without accelerating (speed 0 + a bit, then speed 0 + a bit
more...). For your foot case, it would be a special case (and maybe
foot should deform, to show the compression of the hit).

> Automatic handles is what I consider as an issue for IPO curves since
> they are adapted for 2D/3D curves but not for "time" related ones.
>
> But you (and every else one as I see) have the right to disagree with this.
> I was just proposing this since I though that is was a good and
> animation-compliant automatic interpolation.

Well, from what I learnt, things that stop sharply are not good (see
why I say the thing about compression). Overshoot, anticipation, arcs
and such things are good (even exagerating for toons).

http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/animation/character_animation/principles/lasseter_s94.htm
http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/charanim/

Different "schools" of animating, I guess. You seem to prefer defining
the max always by a key frame, and if any to points share same Y (by
pure luck or on purpose), it means the area in between has to be flat
always, while others define it using the curves as a whole (they can
get the flat transition, but not necesarily always).

GSR