[Bf-committers] Softbody architecture

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Feb 10 15:29:32 CET 2005

Hi,

> At least from my user/functionality perspective, something generic
> like vertex groups would be perfect. The way I see it, the best way is
> to have something that's reusable in different situations, without
> having to re-invent the wheel every time some new type of deformation
> is added.

Problem: vertex groups are not generic, only work for Meshes and are
designed to work with Armatures... (there's even bone info in it). I
have big problems with the implementation of the feature (sluggish,
uses loads of memory).

> I've already whined about this with the hooks - instead of re-using
> vertex groups, we now have these other 'hook groups' which from a
> user's perspective do exactly the same thing

Adding hooks to vertex groups is very easy. Just waiting to be coded. :)
I didn't do yet, because I liked to review the vertexgroup first, see
if this can be made into a real 'generic' system. Benefit of current
hooks implementation is that it works at least for each object type.

>  (define weighted groups of vertices to be influenced by something),
> but so slightly inconsistent, and lacking each other's functionality.
> Not only is it a pain interface wise, having to hunt around for each
> redundant set of controls, when it could be handled by one nice
> general panel/group, but it also seems inflexible - the hooks are
> rather limited because we can't paint our own weights for them like we
> can for vertex groups. To somewhat counter that, the proportional hook
> falloff was added. But that might be interesting to use with armatures
> too wouldn't it? Oh but you can't, that's only for 'hook groups' and
> not 'vertex groups'. *grumble grumble*

I also hope to make vertexgroups as an extension, only for more precise
control. Setting up rigs and deform groups is a horrible tedious task,
can be done much more elegant! Other 3d progs are also moving to that
direction... numerous papers on the topic are popping up.

> In my dream world, there would be one consistent system of vertex
> groups, available in every object type, which define influence from
> armatures, hooks, soft bodies, curve deform, lattices, constraints,
> whatever. For anything that deforms or influences things, we should be
> able to define the area of that influence through the one standard
> system.
>
> Well, I can dream, can't I? :)

Yep, and I'll try to code it! :)
This is an unsolved technical design issue yet, needs to sink in...

-Ton-