[Bf-committers] Blender Plugins

Owen Jancowski-Walsh walsh.owen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:07:41 CEST 2005

Hello developers!

I am interested in getting involved in Blender development and am
looking for a place to fit in.  I have limited experience coding, but
am not a complete newbie.

Has anyone started working on a more complete plugin system for
Blender yet? I haven't seen any formal reference to anything anywhere.
 I think this is something worth pursuing, as it would make it much
easier for people to contribute to Blender in the future. I understand
there is a good set of Python API already, but for something more
intensive like new shaders, textures, renderers, etc, this would be a
very important means of extending Blender (I know that a mechanism
already exists for new textures, but I mean a more complete set of
API).

Of course, tackling something like this would require a extensive
understanding of the underlying architecture.  A point I am nowhere
near yet, hence my hope to help out someone who has considered a
design already.

If not, then perhaps there is another area where someone could feed me
some small coding projects to work on.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Owen