[Bf-committers] Re: auto smooth angle

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 15 13:06:05 CEST 2005

Hi,

Rendering "smooth" is just an ancient trick, something that's very
cumbersome with angles even of larger than 30 degrees already, because
the actual geometry then differs a lot from its appearance. For example
shadows (or AO) won't work well. It leads to the infamous "terminator"
problem, as written down in our release log as well.
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Misc_improvements.355.0.html

Another reason to restrict this to like 80 degrees is the 'Vertex
normal flip" option in Blender, which allows you to model without
really bothering about how normals point. While rendering, the normals
then always get 'flipped' into the correct direction, making angles of
 > 180 degrees become <180 degrees.

-Ton-