[Bf-committers] BOAL idea. . something really, really needed

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Sep 13 13:59:52 CEST 2004

Hi,

You could check on the notes I made to explain the design process for
Blender. It's on blender3d.org -> InfoCenter -> Development, where you
can find a lot of goodies.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_Architecture.336.0.html

A the time this design happened, CSG was already getting out of the
picture as outdated. The last true CSG based modeler/renderer (gig 3d)
disappeared just because it's very hard to work with. But here I talk
from the 3d animation tool perspective, and based on development as
reflected in the yearly Siggraph proceedings/conferences.

Nevertheless, the "Meta" object type was also meant to be the primitive
type in Blender to experiment with CSG structures. There's what you can
call a "CSG Object".

Having c++ within Blender core, and especially dynamic c++ plugins is
an architecture proposal which is out of the scope of what we do
currently. Regular C is still standard, and when you prefer to use C++
(which is fine) it should be delivered as a library with a C API
wrapper to interface with the rest of Blender.

I've coded the main object and data system in Blender, and theres
several aspects in it you could describe as 'horrible mess' yes, but
that's on a very different level.
Your perception seems to be based on biased opinions on C and
requirements for a CSG system, which completely - and purposedly -
conflicts with how it currently works.

-Ton-