[Bf-committers] Dithering

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Wed Oct 27 13:11:21 CEST 2004

>This looks *very* promising, though I'm a bit worried about animation
>"flickering" if it uses random noise.
>
>Ton, you should have a look at this :)
>
>| alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
>| ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

In my experience in image manipulation and commercial printing, a
noise variance of only1% in the luminosity of an image is enough to
remove visual banding. At that level the noise is almost unnoticable
to the naked eye. I would be very surprised if it caused flickering
in an animation. If anything, it would give it a slightly more
organic feel. The only problem I would foresee is that it would screw
with frame differential compression methods.
--
Roland Hess - harkyman
IT Manager