[Bf-committers] Game Engine / Physics issues

Mal mal at candomultimedia.com
Wed Nov 24 20:58:02 CET 2004

Hi Kester,

With all the new, easy to use features in Blender, I'm starting to get
back into it again so I put together a set of textured sample scenes for
the games engine.

I've created a number of scenes, containing simple tests ( using boxes,
spheres, polytopes ) that might be of use when updating the physics code.
( it might be of interest to all coders, to see how cool the physics
engine 'nearly' is ).

Here's the blender file
www.candointeractive.com/blender/PhysicsTest.blend
<cid:part1.09090808.07000502 at candomultimedia.com>

You'll notice how there is a lot of jittering when objects are stacked,
or even when they are 'resting' on the ground ( again, look at
http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car and check out the stack
of boxes ahead of the car when you collect the pickup, and run into them
to scatter and watch as they settle again ).

One of the scenes ( MaterialColorBoxes ) is of great interest to me...
it would be great to see the colour of the boxes taken directly into the
game engine ( assuming no textures were assigned to it ).  I have been
asked to put together some content for students, and this is something
I'd really like to see working, so that they could be taught
interactivity via the game engine, on their own scenes.

Mal