[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editobject.c

Fabrizio bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:18:07 +0200

> Ton wrote:
>
> One of the things Blender always did good, was offering a the minimal
> but coherent & comprehensive set of tools, which are fast to access and
> create a good workflow. Many of such design decisions were made
> purposedly and conscious in the past (mostly be me yes). I am also not
> so interested in what people find in general 'good workflow', but
> interested in *creating* a specific workflow, which has to be learnt to
> appreciate well.
> One of these design concepts was to always try to provide a non-exact,
> interactive & visual toolset. No axis-awareness (x-axis, y, z), no
> coordinate awareness (typing in location/size/rot for adding object),
> and no scale awareness (we have the "blender unit").
>
> That's giving a nice focus for designing features (and I'm the first to
> admit many things in Blender don't do well still). But it's not an
> axioma; when exact editing is needed (like exact rotation around exact
> location) you should have the tools to do so. But it's secondary, and
> not primary like in most CAD tools.

Hi,

Could we at least have the option to numerically place the cursur through
the N panel when nothing is selected? As it is, being able to use the cursur
as an exact tool is not available as a primary OR secondary feature.

The current work around is to
a)  place an object
b)  Numerically re-position the object,
c)  snap the cursur to the object

3 steps (More if you consider what each step entails) to get the cursur in
an exact location - and you still have to do whatever you needed the cursur
there for in the first place! This never made much sense to me when the 3D
cursur is such an important aspect of blender!

thanks

Regards,
Fabrizio