[Bf-committers] yafray GI settings are not sufficient

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:33:14 +0100

Hi!

I've played around with the yafray export feature for a while and I had to
discover last night that it is very simple to create a scene for which the
global illumination setting "Best" is anything but sufficient. The result is
an incredible amount of noise in the image caused by irregular lighting.

I think you can recreate this easily by moving the camera inside a box and
hide a lamp behind a plane near one wall of the box to simulate indirect
lighting (I see this effect in a slightly more complex scene). No matter
which settings you choose you will not get rid of the resulting jitter.

To fix this, one would need a lot more control about the light sampling done
by yafray, which in turn means adding options to lamps which are only
meaningful when used with yafray. Is this feasible? Do you want to follow
this path?

Another nice feature would be a python-controlable yafray export (i.e. a
render without a call to yafray). I'm willing to do implement this myself,
but I have one question to start with: How is the export invoked in the
normal case?

Regards,
Gregor