[Bf-committers] Experiences with the engine and sound on linux

Ryan Showalter ryanshow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 23:31:31 CET 2004

I second (or third) this.  I've never been able to sucessfully compile
OpenAL into blender.  I always end up getting missing symbols in the
linking stage.

However, if it's decided to stay with OpenAL, then perhaps we might
make a custom build that's truely cross-platform.  The way it is right
now, source is provided for certain distros to make them compile
nicely (different make files I'm guessing).  Linux seems to be out on
its own with no specific OpenAL version mentioned.

I'm not putting OpenAL down.  It is a good lib to use with gaming
programs (I believe the Linux Unreal 2003/2004 games use it).
However, I do agree that it has little documentation and choosing SDL
(SDL_sound?) might be a better idea.