[Bf-committers] copyright and suzanne

john tuffen john at namke.com
Wed Dec 15 14:47:15 CET 2004

Quoting Robert Wenzlaff <rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com>:

> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 07:27, Tom M wrote:
> > This is a useful explanation from the music world,
> >
> > [QUOTE] There is no simple rule concerning how much of a work may be
> > taken before it rises to the level of infringement. Obviously, the
> > more a work is copied, the easier it is to show substantial
> > similarity.
> > ...[/QUOTE]
>
> I don't think a music analogy applies.  No matter how much work you add when
> you are done it's still music.

When dealing with synthesised sound/sample-use (using a sound/sample as a basic
building block much the same way as a mesh is a basic building block), I see a
direct analogy.

Typically, a synthesiser manufacturer does not copyright the sounds in a sound
module - even when they are very distinctive...

john..

--
http://www.iwari.com/
http://www.minimism.com/