[Bf-committers] Audio/Video update

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Aug 31 14:58:48 CEST 2004

Hi,

The main topic you should look at is:

-> what are the new dependencies we have to take care of?

I have no experience whatsoever with ffmpeg. What platforms are
supported? Is it a static or dynamic lib? Does it involve h/w
dependencies? Installation issues?
What formats we then can support? How does it work with current
quicktime & windows libs?

And, is it a huge library making Blender 10 megabyte? :)

Further, the integration of Avi/QT codecs in Blender, and how it all
was coded, doesn't deserve a beauty prize. I dont blame Phase and
Stefan for that, it already *was* a mess.
I would appreciate efforts to make it all a generic movie library,
which can be talked to from within Blender in a uniform way, without
system dependencies (avi, qt) in Blender code itself.

I mean; it should become a library in bf-blender/blender/intern/, where
all external dependencies are wrapped.

Same is true for audio. We do have a Soundsystem library, but
unfortunately audio support in the sequencer doesn't use it. Now
there's SDL audio added completely separate from it. A third audio
system I wouldn't appreciate at all...

-Ton-