[Bf-committers] Linux + Blender faq

Juan J. Pena Mena bf-committers@blender.org
31 Jul 2004 21:28:36 -0400

--=-xq/3ZoNMo2DLAZOj1gju

Attached is a WIP of what I got so far. As you can see I start comparing
the Windows/Linux version, based on the premise that most Linux users
will be coming from a Windows background.

What do you think about it?

Once it is ready and approved, how do I get the file included with the
Linux build?

Apollux.

--=-xq/3ZoNMo2DLAZOj1gju

Linux Blender FAQ

General
What is different in Blender for Linux, compared to Blender for other platf=
orms?
Is there any advantage of running Blender on Linux?
Blender is running way to slow on Linux, why?
Do I need any particular window manager or graphic desktop to run Blender?
How will my graphic card behave with Blender and Linux?

Installing
Do I need root access to install Blender?
Why there isn't an automated installer?
How do I install Blender on my Linux system?
Why are Hot-Keys not working the way they should?

More Information
Where do I find more information?
I have some contributions for this document, how do contact the FAQ maintai=
ner?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -=20
General

* What is different in Blender for Linux, compared to Blender for other pla=
tforms?

On the Windows version there is a button on the GUI (on the top bar) for sw=
itching between window mode and full screen=20
mode. On the Linux version there isn't such button and, by default, Blender=
 starts in full screen mode. To start Blender=20
in window mode you should use the -w option: =C2=A8./blender -w=C2=A8

On the Windows version you can render your animations to video files alread=
y compressed with the CODECs installed on=20
your computer (there is an option for this on the rendering buttons), but a=
t the time of this writing that isn't=20
possible under Linux. You need to render your animations to an uncompressed=
 file, and then use another program to=20
do any needed video compression.

In the near future, a .zip file containing the basic Python libraries will =
be distributed alongside the Windows version=20
of Blender (thus, on most cases doing a full Python install would not be ne=
cessary for running complex scripts).  On=20
Linux you are required to do a full Python install if you want to run compl=
ex scripts (but there is pretty high chance=20
that Python is already installed on your computer, since Python is a defact=
o component on most Linux distros).

* Is there any advantage of running Blender on Linux?

Yes, specially on the speed department. May users (including myself) has re=
ported that Blender loads and renders=20
noticeable faster on Linux than in other OSs.  Please take note that no mat=
ter what  operating system you are using,=20
rendering from the command line is (on 99% of the cases) faster than render=
ing from the GUI.

Besides, considering consumed computer resources, Linux puts a lighter load=
 on your CPU, thus leaving more free=20
resources to be used for actual 3D work.

* Blender is running way to slow on Linux, why?

Blender uses OpenGL for all it's GUI drawing operations, so having an OpenG=
L accelerated graphic card truly does a=20
difference when it comes to GUI response time. =20

On most Linux distros the OpenGL drivers used are provided by the MESA proj=
ect, which are OK for general work, but=20
aren't precisely the best choice for 3D work.  Check if your graphic card m=
aker provides Linux drivers for your card.=20
By replacing the general MESA driver with a driver made specifically for yo=
ur card you could see speed increases up to=20
400% (my own experience) or maybe more.

Nvidia, Ati and many other graphic card manufacturers provide Linux drivers=
 for their cards.

* Do I need any particular window manager or graphic desktop to run Blender=
?

No, as long as you have a working X system (Xorg/Xfree86/etc) and a OpenGL =
driver (see next question) you should be fine.=20
There is no difference from using KDE, GNOME or whatever your desktop manag=
er might be.

* Why are they 2 versions of Blender for Linux? What does the static/dynami=
c mean?

Actually there are 4 versions of Blender for Linux, one for x386 processors=
 and one for PowerPC processors.  Each one of=20
them having dynamic and statics flavors available. (2 x 2 =3D 4).

On a static build, all the system dependencies needed to run Blender are in=
cluded, even a software based OpenGL=20
environment. So if you are having dependencies errors or you are unable to =
find a proper OpenGL driver for your graphic=20
card the static build should run on your system. You should consider a stat=
ic built as a trouble-shooting/worst case=20
scenario option.

On a dynamic build, the dependencies are not included, so Blender will use =
the libraries already installed and available=20
on your system. Also, Blender will use any OpenGL accelerated driver that i=
t might find on your system. Generally speaking,=20
a dynamic build should be preferred over a static build.

* How will my graphic card behave with Blender and Linux?

The best way to know is looking the testimonials of other users with the sa=
me/similar graphic cards as yours. =20
Go and take a look into the official Blender OpenGL/GFx database located at=
 http://blender.org/modules/gfxdatabase/=20

--=-xq/3ZoNMo2DLAZOj1gju--