[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Pupmenu conventions. (Was: CVScommit:blender/source/blender/src edit.c)

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:17:57 -0400

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 05:45 PM, Guillermo S. Romero /
Familia Romero wrote:

> Underline is the convention and Blender does not collide with that, so
> it seems the best non obtrusive solution. Bold is playing with fire,
> from a typographically point of view (so is italics). I have never
> seen bold used that way, at least in sane places (31337 WwW d3s1n6 is
> a different point of view :] ).

While I am a MacOS X user (whose OS does not use these sorts of
conventions) I must admit that in Blender in particular with a
two-handed workflow (one hand on mouse, one hand on keyboard) having
such an obvious visual presentation of what key will do what after
calling up a menu would be extremely convenient.

I, like several others, never got used to the idea of hitting a number
that corresponded to the menu placement. Without a visible number it'd
take me longer to count down to the one I want than to simply mouse
over & click, but if I just hit one key and I have a mnemonic hotkey
now (first letter, or second if the first is already taken) then I'm
far more likely to remember it.

I also understand the "sacred cow" theory of keeping oft-used hotkey
combinations the same, but using a hot "letter" instead of a
position-dependent number means that you can reorganize the menu as
needed to group functionality logically without ever breaking the
hotkey assignment.

Just my 2p.

-Bischofftep