[Bf-committers] Solid library

Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:42:35 +0200

Hi,

Gino van den Bergen mailed me with an update. His library (solid 3.5)
is close to completion. He prefers to wait with the GPL release of it
when his book on Collision Detection is ready, which now is scheduled
"end of Q3/early Q4".

I know book publishers, and such deadlines easily extend months... :/

However, Gino offers to make the binaries for the library available
sooner. This will put us in a potential GPL licensing conflict.
 From the GNU GPL faq:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WritingFSWithNFLibs

Or in short, we need to add to our license:

     In addition, as a special exception, Gino van den Bergen
     gives permission to link the code of this program with
     the SOLID 3.5 library, and distribute linked combinations
     including the two.  You must obey the GNU General Public
     License in all respects for all of the code used other than
     SOLID 3.5.  If you modify this file, you may extend this
     exception to your version of the file, but you are not
     obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to do so, delete
     this exception statement from your version.

Opinions, suggestions?

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org