[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/blenkernel/intern exotic.c blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_mesh_types.h blender/source/blender/makesdna/intern makesdna.c blender/source/blender/src editmesh.c editobject.c

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:02:57 +0100

Hi,

>   The maximum vertex count for a mesh has been raised from 65000 to
>   2000000000L (yep, 2 billion!).
>
>   Please test!

Argh! :-)

Rule of thumbs;

- total amount of faces in Blender x 200 bytes = memory consumption for
faces/verts render.
- total amount of faces in File x 40 bytes = file size

Rough estimates! So, for 1 million faces:

- in memory: 200 MB
- in file:    40 MB

Since we still only use a 32 bits architecture, pointers can only span
a 2 Gb area. That gives current realistic maxima of:

- to render: 10 Million faces
- that's in a file:  400 MB

This excluding shadowbuffers, texturemaps, particles, etc! When we move
to a true 64 bits version of Blender (which is already possible on SGI
for ages) we can easily go to:

to render: 2 Billion faces (400 Gig memory)
in file: 2 Billion faces (80 Gig)

Now, when will we reach that limit? If we anticipate with Moore's law,
and define the practical maximum at 10 million faces for 2004, we get:

2005.july  20 M  (= need 64 bits version)
2007       40 M
2008.july  80 M
2010      160 M
2011.july 320 M
2012      640 M
2013.july 1280 M

Another upgrade in 2015! Thanks Hos! :-)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org