[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:08:15 +0200

Hi,

I think you've got a misunderstanding in what the original concepts =20
behind Blender's engine was... not to blame you, it's an idea I find =20
myself pretty lonely in!

Anyhow, the target group for Blender's engine feature was never =20
intended at game studios or game programmers. It's solely meant as an =20=

extra tool to for 3d artists, to extend their creative possiblities =20
with interactive/realtime 3d.
Understanding and fully grasping this topic was something we failed in =20=

during the NaN period... especially in creating the technology (tools) =20=

and marketing it. This doesn't really change my opinion however, I =20
still find it a challenge to bridge this gap... having realtime both as =20=

'linear' 3d tools in your hands.

The notes you make below can be put in that context as well. So we =20
should separate two topics:

- import/export and cooperation/integration
this to enable artists to use Blender in their (professional) =20
environments, whether that's support for a renderer or a game project. =20=

Efforts to integrate with Yafray can be classified of the same type as =20=

doing that for game artists.
- tools to create and playback interactive 3d content
probably we should redefine (clarify) what this exactly means... it =20
could be limited in functionality, like the old engine, and/or based at =20=

prototyping/testing and assisting creative processes (pre-viz).

In fact you already mention it, with this sentence:

> Actually I believe that dropping the current game engine and focussing =
=20
> on game
> engine *support* - meaning making blender a tool for game developers - =
=20
> would
> be better than developing yet another open source game engine.

With added note, that is is of course not the sole focus of Blender, =20
but something that should *also* work well. :)

-Ton-