[Bf-committers] 2.28a release & meeting notes

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:57:42 +0200

Hi all,

Below what we've discussed yesterday, especially relevant for the
upcoming release update.

Agenda:
1. bugs
2. ghost
3. regression suite
4. 2.28a release
5. interface manager
6. 2.29-2.30 release targets
7. various topics

1. bugs
- everyone again can go over the Tracker to find if there are bugs
reported on code they've been writing.
- bugs in Python & 'reopen last file' crash have been fixed.
- .Blanguages problem (for windows too) solved.
- still seems to be a problem with FTGL in Windows, which is not pinned
down what exactly causes it. Not a 2.28 release related one... Phase
hinted to Ton how to completely replace FTGL with a few simple Blender
calls. Still at Ton's list-todo.
- Ton will fix the toon-shading problems (range, sun/hemi light)

2. ghost
- the Ghost team intends to go for an 'official launch'... they're
finalizing docs and demos for it. Ton will help getting marketing
exposure at opengl.org
- this also implies we (bf-blender) should get ready to remove ghost
from the Blender cvs... and include it as extern lib (such as jpeg).
- agreed on is to freeze now bf-blender ghost; meaning that commits to
it are not allowed unless it's also done in the official ghost project.
During the next period, hopefully before the 2.29 release, we can
discuss & decide on how to incorporate the ghost lib.
- Ghost is being ported to BeOS (R5, last official release).

3. regression suite
- Well, a presumptious name... but I would like to collect from the
developers their most relevant testing .blend files, to assemble a set
of files (with instructions) which *minimally* should work before doing
releases. Such a test should be accomplished within 5-10 minutes, and
only serve as final comfirmation its all OK (meaning, not replacing
individual tests related to ongoing development of course).
- I've received during the meeting a few Armature files. Added to that,
from the python team I would like to see a couple of files that give a
quick & thorough test of most of the Python functionality.
- Target: ready before 2.29 release. Open still is if this will be in
cvs, or a separate download...

4. 2.28a release
- CVS will be frozen END OF TODAY (monday aug 11)!
- Today last chance: check tracker and fix espicially things that are
related to (new) 2.28 development.
- Everyone: compile latest cvs checkout and test for fitness
- Python team has new API doc
- Where is Hans! We miss the FreeBSD binary!
- Ton will make changelog
- Tuesday: Larstiq will tag CVS and make source tarball.
- Tue/Wed/Th (for as long as it takes): platform managers compile
releases; forwards links to me, I'll put it at the server.

5. Interface manager
- Goofster applied for the job of 'someone who'll keep track of
consistancy in new GUI additions, hotkeys, menus'. Not defining new
designs, but to assist developers in finding the correct locations for
options.
- Goofster will contact bf-funboard mailing list with the idea. Might
work well, especially after the specs for new interface in Blender have
been frozen

6. 2.29 and 2.3 release targets
- Ton proposes to define the targets for the next 2 releases, like we
did for 2.28. A release then won't be actually scheduled until we know
when these targets have been completed.
- Ton's Suggestion is to do a 2.29 'minor' release, and a 2.30 'major'
release which will include the implementation of a new
menus/buttons/toolbox design.
- Most urgent reason to schedule a new interface 'as soon as possible',
is the work being done on a new Blender (2.3) Manual. It is uncertain
if we can sync this with the manual author(s), but it definitely will
give a new book more commercial value if it doesn't look outdated when
printed...
- people expressed some doubts whether we can achieve this make-over
quickly. Ton confirmed he's available to do coding work for it. Will
mostly depend at results from funboard & forums... and how quickly we
can reach consensus on design.
- for 2.29: python team targets to have pull-down menus with default
included python modules
- for 2.29: theeth has new constraints (already tested in tuhopuu1).
- for 2.29: ton will make peace with Cessen, and discuss with him
how/what to continue work on rendering. :)
- Game engine (Solid back?) is also an issue. We should at least have
one release (either 2.29 or 2.30, or both) which is compatible with
2.25. Ton will contact Gino on this issue.
- Larstiq would really like to see the general roadmap, to 2.5 or so...

7. Various topics: Blender Conference!
-  Ton would love to have another one this year, again somewhere in (or
2nd half of) october.
- Loads of ideas what topics we can cover then... at least we now
better know what to discuss & talk about.
- Ton would like to get 'real' courses organized, like on Solid or
OpenGL fragment shading. This also to provide a good excuse for people
to get their boss or univ paying for a trip. :)
- Theeth volunteers for the local Montreal counterpart.
- Problem to solve is where to do it... since the 'De Waag' location
can only house about 120 participants. If we also want to include an
artists program (masterclass character anim, etc), we might attract a
total of 200-300 people.
- Ton will investigate feasibility next week, and post here and on
forums results.
- of course; all help is welcome, especially people with organization
skills!

7. Various topics: Tuhopuu2
- there's a fresh bf-blender copy available as new 'evil tree' for
experiments.
- the old tuhopuu will be available read-only
- hidden treasures still in tuhopuu1:
   - Green's 3delight/renderman exporter
   - auto-IK
   - the old game engine ('Enji')